Tuesday 18 October 2011

Dear Mr. President

Let me begin by joining the chorus of congratulatory messages you are already receiving. I am sure you have amassed a pile of them, I am sure one more won’t make a difference. So here goes “Many congratulations to his Excellency President Michael Chilufya Sata.” Now that we have gotten that out of the way, I can now move on to more important issues, my expectations.
Indeed I have a lot of expectations from this new government, even though they are too many to write here, I will write some of my most important. First on my list of expectation is MONEY! MONEY! MONEY! I am not ambitious asking for a sack of money to be delivered by my place in the next 60 days or so. All I am asking for is that I pay less PAYE than I am currently paying. I think that the zero-tax band should be increased from the current K1, 000, 000 to maybe K2, 500, 000. That way it would definitely put more money in my pockets. So I am hoping that you will grant me this wish.
My next wish Mr. President, please do something about the street vendors in the street. Each time I am supposed to go into town I dread the thought. It is such a hussle to move in the streets as the roads have been turned into Bend-Down Boutiques (Salaula). I always have to move at an angle to avoid bumping into someone’s merchandise. Kindly build more markets and let these people move there. Make sure that the markets are near to the town centre so that they can be easily accessible. It is the only way that the excuse that vendors are following the customers will not be used.
Please Mr. President do something about this Zambian Time that is slowly crippling this nation. It is unfair for someone to go places like the passport office on time and yet the doors rarely open on time. However, when it is time to go for lunch they are so quick to leave. We would request that the government officials lead by example by being on time for meetings. It is what we call leading by example.
My other wish is that let ZNBC look into its programming. It is painful to watch ZNBC these days. The only time I ever watch is if I need assistance to sleep and I do not have my sleeping pill. Indeed some decent programming can be televised even if the shows were made in the 1990s they are still far more interesting than what is currently shown. Right now there are just too many discussions programmes and very little entertainment. I am desperately hoping that you will have a word with the people at ZNBC.
As a budding youth entrepreneur I am hoping to receive some of the incentives that foreign investors are getting i.e. tax holidays. My main concern is the amount of tax that is paid on imported goods. The duty on some of the goods is just too high; therefore I propose that the threshold should be increased K10, 000, 000 if it is not too much to ask. Then try your best to lower the exchange rate against the dollar. The K4, 900 to USD 1 is really killing us eish.  I wish for the days when it is K3500 this amount would make things cheaper for some of us.
We for now that is all Mr. President, should I think of more things I will drop you a line.
Yours faithfully,
Frustrated Brotha

No comments:

Post a Comment